Sunday 19 January 2014

It's just bean a week

Last Sunday we picked a massive bag of our French beans taking off all the beans we could see.  One week later look at the size of the beans and another big bag of beans.  

In the "Three Sisters"(see previous post) community patch the sunflowers are now drooping their heads, and their seeds are being sought after by the sparrows.

 It may be soon the end of these magnificient blooms but the purple beans climbing up the sunflower stems are still producing well.  These beans are certainly a majestic colour and when young are delicious and sweet to eat raw.


 It's a shame once you cook them they lose that purple.  Someone in their plot has planted purple beans  and I caught them in flower. I wonder if these stay purple when cooked.

When visiting the garden, I always take time out to walk around the other plots to find interesting combinations of colour, foliage and flowers that catch my eye...or it could just be an exquisite example of a vegetable in its prime.

Last week I just had to capture this combination of bulb fennel and cos lettuce...

Of course today one week later, some of the lettuces and fennel have been harvested and it no longer looks perfect.  My niece Jessie who visited the gardens with me last week just couldnt get over how perfect all the vegetables looked - no sign of these lettuces being ravaged by pests.  I told her its all to do with the healthy organic soil and the number of flowers and host plants around the gardens that give a home to beneficial insects that keep the pest numbers down.

Unlike the two strawberry plants I have in our garden this gardener will get to eat some strawberries.  The birds always beat me.  I thought this a great design for growing strawberries and an inventive idea using ping pong balls over sticks to hold up the bird netting.  This stops the netting getting tangled and slipping.

You can learn so much by talking or just observing what other people do in the gardens.


No comments:

Post a Comment